DENVER, Colo. – Taige Harding’s goal late in the third period forced overtime but Jack Devine scored at 1:16 of the extra frame to give No. 4 Denver a 3-2 win over the No. 11/9 Providence College men’s hockey team on Saturday night at Magness Arena.
No. 11/9 Providence (3-2-0, 1-0-0 HEA) | No. 4 Denver (4-2-0, 0-0-0 NCHC)
No. 11/9 Providence – 2 | No. 4 Denver – 3 (OT)
Magness Arena – Denver, Colo.
Philip Svedebäck (PC) – 22 saves, 3 goals against
Magnus Chrona (DU) – 29 saves, 2 goals against
– The Friars looked to get on the board early as Jaroslav Chmelar had a clean breakaway just over a minute into the game but his bid rang off the crossbar.
– Providence continued to generate chances on DU netminder Magnus Chrona but the senior turned away all 11 Friar shots in the opening period.
– Brady Berard and Connor Kelley were whistled for penalties in the final minute, giving the Pioneers and 5-on-3 man-advantage as the first period concluded.
– Providence killed off the penalties to begin the period and gained some momentum from there.
– With Denver’s Brett Edwards in the box, Chmelar struck on the power play for his second goal of the season to give the Friars a 1-0 lead at 15:51. Riley Duran forced a turnover and fed Liam Valentewho dropped a pass to Chmelar in the slot for the finish over the glove of Chrona. It was Valente’s first NCAA point.
– Carter Mazur responded on the power play to tie the game at 1-1 at 17:17.
– Massimo Rizzo gave the Pioneers the lead with 54 seconds remaining in the period after the Friars were caught on an extended shift.
– Providence pressed for the equalizing goal throughout the third period, outshooting the Pioneers by a 10-4 margin in the final 20 minutes.
– Taige Harding blasted a power-play goal through Chrona with 2:56 remaining in regulation to tie the game at 2-2.
– Denver’s Jack Devine fired a wrist shot past Svedebäck from the slot 1:16 into overtime to give Denver the 3-2 win.
– Duran and Valente each recorded a pair of assists on the evening.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Chmelar, Harding (1)
Assists: Duran, Valente (2)
Points: Duran, Valente (2)
Shots: Four players (4)
Providence – 2/7
Denver – 1/7
Providence – 31
Denver – 25
The Friars will return to Hockey East play next weekend with a home-and-home series against New Hampshire beginning next Friday night (Oct. 28) at the Whittemore Center.