Box Score | Schedule | Roster | Season Stats
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 1/1 Ohio State women’s hockey team earned the series sweep of RV/RV Minnesota State with a thrilling 5-4 win Saturday afternoon in Mankato, Minn. The Buckeyes (2-0-0, 2-0-0 WCHA) scored three consecutive goals in the third period to finish its season-opening weekend with two wins.
How it Happened
Facing a 4-2 deficit in the third period, the Buckeyes scored three goals in 16 minutes to come away with the win.
Madison Bizal started off the Buckeye run with a goal at 11:32 into the period. The fifth-year sent a shot blocker-side high on Minnesota State’s Alexa Berg to cut the Maverick lead to one. Senior Brooke Bink tallied an assist on the goal.
Four minutes later, Jenn Gardiner scored the game-tying goal for the Buckeyes after collecting a rebounded shot from Sophie Jaques.
Gabby Rosenthal, who scored the equalizer in the first game of the series, went five-hole on Berg with 1:35 on the clock to push Ohio State ahead, 5-4. Emma Maltais and Jaques earned assists on the goal.
Goaltender Amanda Thiele made her 17th save of the day in the final minute of the matchup to keep the Buckeyes on top.
Freshman Sofie Lundin and senior Kenzie Hauswirth tallied Ohio State’s first two goals in Saturday’s game. Lundin put the Buckeyes on the board first at 5:17 in the first period. Hauswirth put a stop to a three-goal run by the Mavericks as she scored the only goal of the second period at 9:28.
- Ohio State extends its program-record win streak to 12 games with Saturday’s victory over Minnesota State. The Buckeyes now hold a 78-14-10 record against the Mavericks.
- Freshman Sofie Lundin tallied her first collegiate point on Saturday, scoring the Buckeyes’ first goal of the game. She finished the contest with two shots and went +3 on ice.
- Kenzie Hauswirth and Sophie Jaques led the Buckeyes with two points in the contest. Hauswirth’s performance marks the fourth time in her career that she’s collected a career-high two points in a game.
- Jaques is now tied for eighth in the Ohio State record book with 73 career assists.
- Brook Bink, Jaques and Lundin led Ohio State with a +3 rating.
- Freshman Emerson Jarvis and Gali Levy both took the ice for the first time as Buckeyes in the game.
- Ohio State outshot the Mavericks 72-34 with a 46-21 shots on goal advantage.
Shots: Ohio State 72, Minnesota State 34
Saves: Minnesota State (Berg) 41, Ohio State (Thiele) 17
Power Play: Minnesota State 1-3, Ohio State 0-1
Faceoffs: Ohio State 30, Minnesota State 21
Ohio State Scoring: Hauswirth (1-1-2), Jaques (0-2-2), Bizal (1-0-1), Gardiner (1-0-1), Rosenthal (1-0-1), Bink (0-1-1), Bernard (0-1-1), Lundin (1-0-1), Maltais (0-1-1)
Ohio State opens its home slate against St. Cloud State next weekend at the OSU Ice Rink. The Buckeyes host the Huskies Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m.