Pilon’s 19 saves, Iginla goal and assist lifts Bears to first win
Zukow finished with 29 saves in goal for the Skyhawks tonight (PHOTO BY Bob Blanchard)
BRIDGEWATER, Mass. (October 22, 2022) – Brown University used a late power play goal to seal a 3-1 victory and snap a five-game unbeaten streak for Stonehill College in a non-conference women’s ice hockey matchup at Bridgewater Ice Arena this evening.
- Freshman forward Jade Iginlathe daughter of Hockey Hall of Famer Jerome Iginla, registered a goal and assist to lead the Brown offense.
- Junior Maya Mangiafico and freshman India McDadi also netted goals for the Bears.
- Freshman Mégane Pilon earned the win in her collegiate debut with 18 saves in goal for Brown.
- Freshman Lucie Turcotte scored the lone Stonehill goal on a power play.
- Sophomore Hanna Zukow registered 29 saves in goal for Stonehill.
How it Happened
- After a scoreless first period in which each team finished with seven shots on goal, Brown grabbed control with two goals in the opening 69-seconds of the second.
- Mangiafico opened the scoring just 35-seconds into the period with an unassisted tally off a Stonehill miscue in the defensive zone for her first goal of the season.
- Iginla doubled the Bears lead just 34-seconds later when she cut back across the crease and split two defenders before firing in her second goal of the season.
- Stonehill pulled a goal back on the power play with 5:27 remaining in the second period as Turcotte potted her second goal of the year (both on the power play) when she tipped in a rdrive from the point by freshman Sydney Russell that was redirected by classmate Lily Barrett
Turcotte scored her second power play goal of the season tonight (PHOTO BY Bob Blanchard)
Stonehill emerged from a second period just a goal behind despite a Brown 17-2 advantage in shots on goal for the frame.
- Stonehill held a 10-8 edge in shots on goal for the final period, but was unable to grab another late equalizer, with Brown sealing the win with a power play goal on a rebound by McDadi, the first of her career, assisted by Iginla and sophomore Cameron Sikichwith just 1:46 remaining.
- Brown grabbed its first win of the season after the two teams skated to a 2-2 overtime draw in Providence in the Bears season-opener last night.
- The loss snaps a five-game unbeaten run for Stonehill (4-0-1) over the last three weeks.
- Zukow played all but 1:23 (empty net) over the last two days against Brown and totaled 73 saves against 78 shots on goal, including a season-high 44 on Friday night. Her 29 saves this evening are her second-highest total of the season.
- Turcotte has a point in four of Stonehill’s last five games (2-2-4).
- Barrett has a point on five of the last six games for Stonehill (1-6-7), who leads the Skyhawks in scoring with seven points and assists with six through eight games.
- Russell dished her second assist of the season.
Stonehill (4-3-1, 4-0-0 NEWHA) is back in action next weekend for a home-and-home weekend NEWHA series with Franklin Pierce University, starting Friday night at Bridgewater Ice Arena at 5 p.m. Brown (1-0-1, 0-0-0 ECAC) opens conference play on Friday at Dartmouth College at 3 p.m.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.